Student Web Hosting
Student web hosting is available through Webspace. Please visit http://www.utexas.edu/its/webspace/index.php for more information.
Faculty Course Web Hosting
Every faculty member has department hosted webspace available for coursework. You can reach this by enabling the 'public_html' directory in your ECE-LRC home directory and surfing to:
By enabling your ECE-LRC webspace, you agree to follow The University of Texas at Austin's Acceptable Use Policy.
Note: For the commands and URLs listed below, replace the text "username" with your ECE username.
Enabling your ECE webspace is very simple, just follow the steps below:
- Log onto an ECE LRC Linux Workstation. If you are unsure of how to do this, please see the Linux workstation documentation.
- Create a directory named "public_html" in your home directory.
- Change Permissions. Your home directory must be world executable. All directories under and including "public_html" must be world readable and world executable. All files under "public_html" must be world readable.
- Add Content. HTML files should end in a ".html" extension. PHP files should end in a ".php" extension.
- View your content by going to the location: http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~username
To create the "public_html" directory and set your permissions correctly, you can use the following commands:
chmod o+x ~username
chmod o+rx ~username/public_html
Now you are ready to add content to your webspace. Whenever you add a file, you will need to make sure the file is world readable. You can do so with the following command:
chmod o+r ~username/public_html/myfile.html
To set the permissions on all your files in one fell swoop, you can use the chmod command with the recursive (-R) option:
chmod -R o+r ~username/public_html
Whenever you add a new directory, you need to make sure it in world readable and world executable. You can do so with the following command:
chmod o+rx ~usernam/public_html/mydir
Here are a few helpful links for creating web pages:
- Basic HTML Tutorial - http://www.w3schools.com/html/
- PHP Tutorial - http://www.w3schools.com/php/
- Restricting access with htaccess - http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html
- Eric Meyer's CSS Guides - http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/
Research Group Webspace Hosting
Academic Computer Services no longer supports web hosting for Research Groups. For more information, please contact us at email@example.com or visit us in ENS 340.