Advising Office Services & Faculty Mentoring

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Do I need an appointment to meet with an ECE advisor?

Yes, however during busy times (the first four class days of each semester and spring/fall registration periods), advisors are available on a walk-in basis. Otherwise, appointments are preferred. You may request to schedule an appointment with a specific advisor using the appointment scheduler (link here). Peer advisors are available to help with general advising on a walk-in basis during open hours (Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm). 

What can an ECE advisor help me with?

Undergraduate advisors are available to assist with degree completion, degree audit reviews, connecting you with academic support services, and informing you about departmental policies and procedures. Academic advisors cannot waive prerequisites, open a new section of a course, move you up on a waitlist, or accept a note from a professor to get you into a class. Before visiting with an advisor, it is highly recommended that you review and research your questions through the ECE website and FAQ’s.

Where can I obtain ECE handouts? (Example: ECE Prerequisite Flow charts & other course selection-advising aids)

Students can obtain these forms in the ECE Undergraduate Office (Anna Hiss Gym). Any form requiring a signature must be picked up in our office.

There are also many forms that must be filled out online (link here), such as the application for graduation.

What should I do if I am having difficulties in my courses this semester? 

Please see an ECE advisor immediately! An advisor can discuss your options with you, as well as direct you towards additional resources (e.g. Departmental tutoring, the Sanger Learning Center, etc). The sooner you contact an advisor, the more proactive you can be in getting help before it's too late. 

I had a difficult previous semester and I want to excel in my studies. Does the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering offer any assistance so that I can get back on tract?

The Move Forward Program is designed to provide individualized academic advising support to ECE students who are motivated to improve their academic performance. At the end of the Fall and Spring semesters, an ECE Undergraduate Advisor will send a Secure Academic Note (SAN) invitation to those students that earned a previous semester GPA at or below a 2.5. Our goal is to assist students before they are at-risk of not earning the minimum 2.5 Basic Sequence GPA and/or the minimum UT, EE, and/or Technical GPA of at least a 2.0. Invited students are not required to participate in The Move Forward Program, however previous participants have recognized the benefits of collaborating with an academic advisor and campus resources such as professors, TA's, departmental and university tutors and MFP mentors. For more information, please contact Nikki Stinnette, The Move Forward Program Coordinator, at

When do I declare my two technical cores?

Once you are in your third year within the ECE program, you will be required to select both a primary and secondary technical core. For details on how to submit your technical core selections, please click here. Once you submit your choices, you will be assigned a faculty mentor in each technical core for guidance with courses and career goals. You are encouraged to meet with your faculty mentor as soon as they are assigned to you. 

Advice on choosing technical cores is provided through HKN’s Tech Core Night, hosted in the Fall and Spring semesters, and during the ECE Open House, held in the Fall semesters. 

I would like to make a course substitution for a course in my technical core. What do I need to do?

Technical Core Course Substitution forms are available in the ECE Undergraduate Office (Anna Hiss Gym). For all course substitutions, students are required to visit with their assigned faculty mentor in the core in which they would like to substitute the course. Once they meet with the faculty mentor, they return the signed form to the ECE Undergraduate Office.

Course substitution forms for Academic Enrichment are only available online. Click here for more information.

How do I obtain credit for an internship?

To earn internship credit, you can take EE 125S, which provides the opportunity to earn degree credit for work done in industry.  Students must obtain an offer letter on company letterhead for a summer internship for final review by the ECE faculty advisor.  For any work that extends beyond summer, the student needs to see the Engineering Career Assistance Center. In March, please see Nikki Stinnette, ECE Undergraduate Advisor, for the necessary paperwork. EE 125S can only be requested before you begin your internship, and cannot be requested after the start of an internship or later.

What is academic probation?

You are placed on academic probation (also called Engineering probation) when you meet either of the following conditions: you have taken at least 6 hours of coursework in the major (EE) and the GPA in those courses is below 2.0; or you have taken at least 6 hours of coursework in the major (EE) and the GPA has fallen below a 2.0 in the other required technical courses (i.e. Calculus, Physics).  If you are on academic probation, you will be given two long semesters to remove yourself from probation.  If you do not reach the minimum required GPA by the end of the second semester of academic probation, you will be subject to dismissal by the School of Engineering. For more information on academic probation, please refer to this webpage

What is academic dismissal?

You are subject to academic dismissal when you have been on academic probation for two semesters, and have not removed yourself from probation by the end of the second semester.  For more information on dismissal, please see this webpage

What is scholastic probation?

You are placed on scholastic probation when your overall in residence GPA falls below a 2.0.  This is sometimes also referred to as University probation. If, however, your GPA falls below certain standards set by the University, you will be subject to immediate dismissal by the University.  A student on scholastic probation has one semester to remove him/herself from probation, or he/she will be subject to dismissal by the University. For more information, see the General Information Catalog. 

What is scholastic dismissal? 

You are subject to scholastic dismissal when you have been on scholastic probation for one semester, and have not removed yourself from probation by the end of that semester. For the first dismissal, you may not rregister for one long session. For the second dismissal, you may not register for courses for three years. After the specified amount of time, you may file for readmission to the university, and will be readmitted on probation.  For more information, see the General Information Catalog. 

What should I do if I’ve been dismissed by the University or the School? 

If you have been dismissed either by the University or the Cockrell School of Engineering, you will receive a Secure Academic Note (SAN) from an advisor in Engineering Student Services  explaining why you have been dismissed.  There is a process in place to appeal your dismissal and further information will be included in the SAN that is sent out to you.  In order to be able to continue as an ECE student at UT, you will need to file the appeal by the deadline specified in the SAN you are sent.  If you file a dismissal appeal, and it is granted by the School, you will receive notification from the college.  You may also receive notification of any conditions of granting the appeal.  For more information, please see this webpage