Throughout the Cockrell School of Engineering degree programs, Major Sequence is a set of courses, normally taken in the last two years of undergraduate study, in which the student learns how to use the tools and concepts learned in Basic Sequence to solve engineering problems. Students currently enrolled in the School must submit an online application by the following priority deadlines for admission to Major Sequence. Applications received by the priority deadline will receive a decision prior to the next registration period. Late applications will be processed in the order they are received. Learn more about applying for Major Sequence at the Cockrell School of Engineering.
For admission for the following Summer or Fall: March 1st
For admission for the following Spring: October 1st
No Electrical and Computer Engineering student may register for a course identified as a Major Sequence course unless the student has been admitted to Conditional Major Sequence or full Major Sequence. The student will receive notification of such permission after careful review of the student's application by the Cockrell School of Engineering.
There are four main eligibility requirements to be admitted into Major Sequence:
- RHE 306 must be completed successfully and posted to UT Austin record PRIOR to applying.
- All Basic Sequence courses must be completed.
- Students may be eligible for Conditional Major Sequence if they have no more than 7 credit hours of Basic Sequence coursework remaining for the application semester.
- Conditionally admitted students must complete all remaining Basic Sequence coursework in the semester they were granted conditional admission.
- No reapplication is necessary after conditions are met. Students will automatically receive notification that all conditions have been met and they will be changed to full Major Sequence status.
- Coursework may be completed at the University of Texas at Austin, equivalently transferred from another institution, or earned through credit by examination.
- Work completed at an institution other than the University of Texas at Austin must appear on the student's official UT Austin transcript prior to submitting the Major Sequence application.
- All credit by examination for courses in Basic Sequence must be petitioned and posted to the student's record prior to submitting the Major Sequence application. Instructional Assessment and Evaluation, (512) 471-3032.
- Electrical and Computer Engineering students must achieve and maintain a minimum Basic Sequence GPA of a 2.33. Only courses taken in residence are used in the Basic Sequence GPA calculation. Correspondence, Extension, Credit By Exam, and Transferred work is credited toward the student's degree, but does not count in the Basic Sequence GPA. View the Basic Sequence grade point average calculator to calculate their in residence Basic Sequence grade point average.
- Must have satisfactory academic standing (not on engineering probation or scholastic probation).
All students must reply to the SAN you receive requesting your Technical Core Selections to get their registration bar cleared after applying to Major Sequence.
Students randomly assigned to Faculty Mentors unles they otherwise indicate a preference for a Mentor.
Note: If you are within one year of graduation, you are required to complete a Degree Audit Request Form.
If you have questions about your status or your academic progress/standing, please stop by ENS 135 to see an advisor.
E 316 K/L/M/N/P English Literature
EE 333T Engineering Communication
EE 351K Probability & Random Processes
EE 364D Intro to Engineering Design
EE 464K/R/C/H/G Senior Design
Prior to taking EE 464K/R/C/H/G, all students are required to successfully complete an advanced lab course.