Q Drops, Grades, Credits & Testing Information

How do I request my Interactive Degree Audit (IDA)?

Click here. Note that IDA is simply a tool and does not register you for courses or add you to any waitlist. If you have questions please contact the ECE Undergraduate Office. 

How does the Q-Drop process work?

During the 1st-12th class days of the Fall and Spring semesters, you may drop a course to receive a full refund. Since the ECE department strictly enforces prerequisites/co-requisites, please review your schedule carefully before dropping a course. Please note that dropping a course can also impact your progress toward degree completion.

Q-Drop period occurs starting the 13th class day through the mid-semester deadline. Approval from both the Dean (ESS Office) and an ECE Undergraduate Advisor (Anna Hiss Gym) is required. Q-Drop forms are initiated first in the Dean’s office (ESS), and then brought to the ECE Undergraduate Office for signature. If the student is allowed to drop the course, a Q appears on his or her academic record to indicate a drop without affecting student’s GPA. No refund is given. 

Please note Texas Education Code section 51.907 limits students who enroll in Texas public institutions a total of six drops for academic reasons during their entire undergraduate academic career. If the drop is detemined to be for academic reasons, it will count towards the six-drop limit.

I did not get a passing grade in a required course for a BSEE degree. What do I need to do to repeat the course?

ECE students are required to obtain a C- or better in lower division EE courses and in all prerequisite courses.  The Cockrell School of Engineering limits the number of times that you can repeat a course. A student that has not obtained a C- or better in a lower division EE course may not enroll in any course required by the engineering degree plan more than twice. A symbol of Q or W counts as an enrollment unless it is recognized as nonacademic by the Dean’s office. To request permission to enroll in a course for a third or more attempt, a student must submit a written appeal here

Please note that repeating a course does not replace the previous grade but is calculated in your overall GPA.

How do I claim credit for AP or other placement exams?

To view scores and claim credit for placement exams (AP, SAT II, CLEP, UT-Austin tests, etc.), visit the Center for Teaching and Learning website here. Click on View scores and claim credit. You will need to log in with your UT EID and password.  Here you may view placement test scores that the University has on file for you and any credit you are eligible to claim. Please read all directions carefully before claiming credit as there are fees involved and your choices affect your official academic record. If you have questions, contact CTL at (512) 232-2662.

What is academic probation?

You are placed on academic probation (also called Engineering probation) when you meet either of the following conditions: you have taken at least 6 hours of coursework in the major (EE) and the GPA in those courses is below 2.0; or you have taken at least 6 hours of coursework in the major (EE) and the GPA has fallen below a 2.0 in the other required technical courses (i.e. Calculus, Physics). If you are on academic probation, you will be given two long semesters to remove yourself from probation.  If you do not meet requirements to be removed from probation by the end of the second semester of academic probation, you will be subject to dismissal by the School.  For more information on academic probation, please see this webpage

What is academic dismissal?

You are subject to academic dismissal when you have been on academic probation for two semesters, and have not removed yourself from probation by the end of the second semester.  For more information on dismissal, please see this webpage

What is scholastic probation?

You are placed on scholastic probation when your overall in residence GPA falls below a 2.0.  This is sometimes also referred to as University probation. However, if your GPA falls below certain standards set by the University, you will be subject to immediate dismissal by the University.  A student on scholastic probation has one semester to remove him/herself from probation, or he/she will be subject to dismissal by the University.  For more information, see the General Information Catalog

What is scholastic dismissal? 

You are subject to scholastic dismissal when you have been on scholastic probation for one semester, and have not removed yourself from probation by the end of that semester.  For the first dismissal, you must sit out one long session.  For the second dismissal, you must sit out three years. After the specified amount of time, you may file for readmission to the university, and will be readmitted on probation.   For more information, see the General Information Catalog

What should I do if I’ve been dismissed by the University or the School? 

If you have been dismissed either by the University or the Cockrell School of Engineering, you will receive a Secure Academic Note (SAN) from an advisor in Engineering Student Services (ESS Building) explaining why you have been dismissed.  There is a process in place to appeal your dismissal and further information will be included in the SAN that is sent out to you.  In order to be able to continue as an ECE student at UT, you will need to file the appeal by the deadline specified in the SAN you are sent.  If you file a dismissal appeal, and it is granted by the School, you will receive notification from the college.  You may also receive notification of any conditions of granting the appeal.  For more information, please see this webpage

What should I do if I am having difficulties in my courses this semester? 

Please see an advisor in the ECE Undergraduate Office (Anna Hiss Gym) immediately!  An advisor can discuss options with you, as well as point you toward additional resources (e.g. departmental tutoring located in ETC 4.150 and the Sanger Learning and Career Center).   If you are having difficulties, don’t wait to see an ECE undergraduate advisor. Too often students wait until it’s too late for us to help.

I had a difficult previous semester and I want to excel in my studies.  Does the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering offer any assistance so that I can get back on tract?

The Move Forward Program is designed to provide individualized academic advising support to ECE students who are motivated to improve their academic performance. At the end of the Fall and Spring semester, the advising office will send a Secured Academic Note (SAN) invitation to those students that earned a previous semester GPA at or below a 2.5. Our goal is to assist students before they are at-risk of not earning the minimum 2.5 Basic Sequence GPA and/or the minimum UT, EE, and/or Technical GPA of at least a 2.0. Invited students are not required to participate in The Move Forward Program however previous participants have recognized the benefits of collaborating with both an academic advisor and campus resources such as professors, TA's, departmental and university tutors and MFP mentors to improve their academic performance at UT. For more information, please contact Nikki Stinnette, The Move Forward Program Coordinator.

I noticed on my IDA that my Academic Enrichment (AE) courses aren’t showing up on my audit. What are some reasons?

The reason why AE courses aren't showing up in your audit is probably because you have not submitted your online AE career statement and contract. Once you do so and the contract is approved, the AE coursework is updated in your official degree audit.  For more on Academic Enrichment, please see this webpage.

Please note you CANNOT declare AE in your final semester; further, you MUST submit your statement and contract before taking courses towards AE to ensure they will be accepted. 

I’m interested in study abroad but I don’t know where to start the process.

Please see this webpage for additional information regarding study abroad.

International Engineering Education (IEE) offers various exchanges within Europe, Asia and Australia. Additional programs will be added throughout the year and interested students should make an appointment with staff in IEE to discuss study abroad options.

I will be living out-of-state this summer and want to take some non-EE courses at my local community college, where can I find out if these courses transfer?

Please contact the Admission’s office for out of state transfer credit options. You will find the Pre-Evaluation form for transfer evaluation at this webpage

I have registered to take EE 333T in the fall but will be taking the prerequisite of E 316 in the summer; I keep getting SANs that I don’t meet the prerequisite. Do I have to drop the EE 333T for the Fall?

No. You must provide proof of credit no later than 1st class day. Proof of credit can be an official or unofficial copy of a student’s transcript or final grade report. This proof can be turned into the ECE Undergraduate Office (Anna Hiss Gym). This same policy applies to students taking co-requisites and co-enrollment. If you have credit for a co-requisite or you’re co-enrolled at Austin Community College for a co-requisite you MUST turn in proof of enrollment no later than 1st class day. Failure to do so will result in being dropped from the EE course by no later than the 4th class day.

I’m a Non-EE student interested in taking an EE course. What courses are available for me to take?

EE 302 and EE 306 are available to Non-EE students ONLY during the Spring semesters, according to seat availability and students meeting the prerequisite. Please visit with the ECE Undergraduate Office (Anna Hiss Gym) on the 2nd class day of the semester. The advisors will begin adding students into open courses at 8 a.m. (first-come, first-served basis). 

EE 333T is available to other UT Engineering majors during BOTH the Fall and Spring semesters, according to seat availability and students meeting the prerequisite of E 316. 

What Computer Science (CS) courses are ECE equivalents?

The following is provided via ECE Faculty Advisor Dr. Jon Valvano:

If a student is transferring from CS to ECE, and has not yet taken the CS equivalent, then that student should take the ECE class. In other words, we count CS courses as equivalent only if taken while majoring in a non-ECE department or while a CS/ECE double major.

CS courses that can count for EE curriculum:

  • EE360F for CS373
  • EE360C for CS331, CS331H, CS357, CS357H (CS378, CS378H Algorithms and Complexity can be counted with approval of any EE360C professor).
  • EE306 for CS429/429H
  • EE422C for CS314 or CS314H + one of CS371P (Object-Oriented Programming), CS 371S (Object-Oriented Software Engineering), or CS378 (Topic: Object-Oriented Software Engineering)
  • M325K for CS311/CS313K
  • EE379K/EE460O Operating Systems for CS439 or CS439H Principles of Computer Systems

CS courses for which EE will not count:

  • CS312 (Introduction to Java)

EE courses for which there are no CS equivalents:

  • EE312, because there is no class in CS that teaches C (double majors have to take both EE312 and CS312)
  • EE460N, EE316, or EE319K because these classes are engineering.

Where are ECE Foreign Exchange Students Advised about courses?

Foreign Exchange students that have been admitted as ECE students for the Fall or Spring semester are required  to discuss requested courses with Melissa Sellars, ECE Undergraduate Advisor.

Who can visit with me to review my Degree Audit?

Any ECE Undergraduate Advisor (Anna Hiss Gym) can assist with degree audit reviews. Students should first review their degree audits at this webpage. Priority is normally given to students who are entering their graduating semester. Please visit the ECE Advising page in order to make an appointment with an advisor.

What can an ECE advisor help me with?

ECE Undergraduate Advisors are available to assist students with degree completion, degree audit review, connecting you with academic support services, and informing you about departmental policies and procedures. Academic advisors cannot waive prerequisites, open a new section of a course, move you up on a waitlist, or accept a note from a professor to get you into a class.

Where can I find further information on applications, such as pass/fail, minor or internal transfer process?

Please review the Cockrell School of Engineering’s website here  which provides further information for current undergraduate engineering students on commonly used applications and forms in the following areas:

  • Concurrent Enrollment
  • Foreign Language Requirement Waiver 
  • Graduation
  • Change of Major/Internal Transfer
  • Minors
  • Pass/Fail
  • Registration for Over 17 Hours