Student Web Hosting
Student web hosting is available through Google Sites (UTMail Account). Please visit https://sites.google.com/a/utexas.edu for more information.
The University Blog Service uses the WordPress platform. To request a blog, visit http://sites.utexas.edu/
Faculty Course Web Hosting
Every faculty member has department hosted webspace available for coursework. You can reach this by enabling the 'public_html' directory in your ECE-LRC home directory and surfing to:
By enabling your ECE-LRC webspace, you agree to follow The University of Texas at Austin's Acceptable Use Policy.
Note: For the commands and URLs listed below, replace the text "username" with your ECE username.
Enabling your ECE webspace is very simple, just follow the steps below:
- Log onto an ECE LRC Linux Server. If you are unsure of how to do this, please see the Accessing the Linux Remote Environment documentation.
- Create a directory named "public_html" in your home directory.
- Change Permissions. Your home directory must be world executable. All directories under and including "public_html" must be world readable and world executable. All files under "public_html" must be world readable.
- Add Content. HTML files should end in a ".html" extension.
- View your content by going to the location: http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~username
To create the "public_html" directory and set your permissions correctly, you can use the following commands:
mkdir ~username/public_html chmod o+x ~username chmod o+rx ~username/public_html
Now you are ready to add content to your webspace. Whenever you add a file, you will need to make sure the file is world readable. You can do so with the following command:
chmod o+r ~username/public_html/myfile.html
To set the permissions on all your files in one fell swoop, you can use the chmod command with the recursive (-R) option:
chmod -R o+r ~username/public_html
Whenever you add a new directory, you need to make sure it in world readable and world executable. You can do so with the following command:
chmod o+rx ~usernam/public_html/mydir
Here are a few helpful links for creating web pages:
- Basic HTML Tutorial - http://www.w3schools.com/html/
- Restricting access with htaccess - http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html
- Eric Meyer's CSS Guides - http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/
Research Group Webspace Hosting
ECE-IT no longer supports web hosting for Research Groups. For more information, please contact us at email@example.com or visit us in UTA 6.508.
Note: Effective September 1st 2014, it is against University Policy for any individual or group to run their own web services/server without the approval of the Information Security Office (ISO). Web services are considered a commodity service. For alternative solutions, it is recommended to leverage UT services such as Sites, UT Web, UT QuickSites, or the CMS Hosting Platform.