The Chandra Family Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) Honors Program is an honors program for outstanding and highly motivated ECE undergraduate students. The ECE Honors Program provides a rigorous, challenging, and faster-pace curriculum and environment to a cohort of students who have the background, ability and the desire and motivation to pursue a more demanding track.
The ECE Honors Program includes a minimum of 17 hours of ECE Honors section courses.
Prospective Freshman Applicants
Prospective freshman applicants may apply to the ECE Honors Program via the Apply Texas or Coalition Applications. Please note there is an additional honors essay question as a part of the application that must be completed.
For Current UT Students
If you are interested in joining the Electrical and Computer Engineering Honors Program and have excelled in your current ECE and math courses at UT, please consider the following options:
Join the ECH Program
Current ECE majors can apply for admission to the Electrical and Computer Engineering Honors Program at the end of each semester by submitting an online application.
The Application system will open April 15 and applications will be accepted until May 15 for students wanting to begin the program in the following Fall semester.
How to apply
- Complete the ECH application.
- Students must submit an updated resume and answer the following question in 500 words or less: “Describe how your education will change the world”.
Enroll in individual honors courses
Our ECE honors courses typically have a limited number of spaces available for non-ECH students. Enrollment in honors courses is particularly useful for students who wish to transfer into the ECH program, since they give the admissions committee an excellent way to evaluate your potential.
Remaining seats in ECE Honors courses will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis starting on the 3rd class day after current Honors students have registered for their coursework. All students wishing to take honors courses must have fulfilled all prerequisites, including earning a B or better in any prerequisite ECE coursework.
Courses available to non-Honors students starting on the 3rd class day:
- ECE 319H/ECE 312H
- ECE 351H
- ECE 411H
- ECE 464R or H*
*enrollment contingent on involvement in an Honors senior design project. For questions regarding Honors projects, consult with your ECE 364D instructor at the beginning of the term
- All ECE Honors students are required to maintain a minimum 3.3 GPA in all ECE coursework (both honors and non-honors coursework).
- Current students who fall below the threshold of 3.3 will be placed on review for one long semester and will work with their ECE Honors Coordinator to stay in the honors program.
- Students who leave the ECE Honors program will retain their major status in ECE provided they adhere to Cockrell School internal GPA requirements. These students will be allowed to re-apply to the honors program once their ECE GPA returns to a 3.3 or above.
Student Program Coordinator
Current Honors students may schedule with Libby in Navigate.